Monday, August 30, 2010

Clearly Seen.

I went walking this morning. I take my dogs when I go. They are both old, like me! One is huffing and puffing heavier than ever, and the other, my schnauzer, is wobbling all over the place. His name is Snuffy. Age is catching up with him. Snuffy is a wonderful dog. My only complaint with him through the years has been his sometimes piercing bark ! Other than that, he's great! So loving!
His health has been slowly going down these last few years and now seems to be declining at a rapid pace. He had an ear infection, so I took him to the vet. She said it was not the reason for his decline. He has either suffered a stroke or is suffering some neurological disorder. They see this alot in older animals.
Well, I look at Snuffy now and can not remember much the puppy that got my attention when
we first saw him. He has always loved to chase after balls. I think, the best way the Lord above could take him out of this world, would be chasing after his little red ball.
We live on a hill, and Snuffy will still go after that ball. He loves it. He cannot retrieve it as well as he use to, but he knows where he is at that moment in time. Sometimes I find him just walking around and around the yard. He stumbles over the slightest thing. People say that it is time for me to put him to sleep. I cannot do that just yet. Snuffy is still holding on and still enjoying some parts of his life.

You know, life is full of surprises. I never thought that when we found this adorable little black puppy, he would wind up in this condition. Yes, I know animals age, but that really never crossed my mind. I still love him and enjoy his company, but he now has to have a lot more attention . He isn't near as much fun, but he is still devoted and of course, needs that in return.

God shows us the need to love others in so many ways. God shows us our faults in so many ways. Our pastor preached on 1st Corinthians 13- the love chapter, this last Sunday. We've all heard it, haven't we. "Love is patient and kind, not jealous, not boastful, not proud, rude or selfish, not easily angered, and it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not gloat over other people's sins but takes its delight in the truth. Love always bears up, always trusts, always hopes, and always endures."
I wonder if God invented animals for our pleasure or to give us lessons in love. Animals are so trusting- so loving. They are not demanding. Certainly, keep no record of wrongs. True, they love to eat and need to be fed, but aside from that? Devotion? What tireless acts of devotion come to us from them! Self pity? Rage? Anger? Not much of that! Thank Heavens, we have these wonderful creatures around us.

I have been married now almost forty three years! Wow! Hard to believe it.
I can remember many times, my expectations far exceeded my giving and loving in my
relationship with my hubby. I think we have this idea at first, that someone has to change in many ways, to meet our approval, or truly love them. We want them to meet and fill every need we have. At times, we can drain the life out of people with our selfish desires and wants.

Our pastor said Sunday, that humbleness should be our state of mind. I know this is true.
Sometimes we are so busy looking at others' faults, that we never see those of ourselves.

God has put people in our lives to teach us how to love and give and receive. We might be a good giver at times, but a poor receiver. Ever received a compliment in the wrong way? I have!!

When we love others, is it only for our own enjoyment? When we give, do we always expect something in return? Life is indeed, not all about us. Life is giving. Life is centering in on God and His commands, for His commands are there for us to have this truly abundant life He talks about. We might be saved. That's wonderful! Glorious! Just to know we will be with our Lord!
What about now? How are our lives reflecting God's love and forgiveness to others? Our devotion? I think if we do our part, God will do His.

For a number of years, the Lord was working on me about self righteousness. It still wants to rear its ugly head from time to time. "Humbleness!!! That's the key! Keep remembering!"
I have to confess this pride in my heart to the Lord at times, but thank God, He lets me see it in myself and He is taking this from me. Another process!
It took a long time in my life, to view self pity as pride! But, that's what it is.
I thank God for my husband. We have grown a lot! We have a lot more to grow! Both of us have learned more and more in our marriage, about looking beyond all the imperfections
to what really exists. We are both aging, like little Snuffy, maybe not going downhill so fast, but
our bodies are reflecting age...no denial of that. I'm very thankful for the love we now share. Oh, we are still very much attracted to each other, but our love for each other has become less selfish. We still argue at times, have disagreements- we're human. I think it's just that we thankfully, can both see clearer the devil's attempts to rob our relationship with each other.
God wants our happiness. Happiness is found in looking beyond ourselves. Looking to God.
Our pastor said that we can stay humble, when we understand that we are God's children- that we are His creations! We are made in His image! He loves unconditionally, we can.
When we see and understand this, we are no longer children- tossed to and fro' - but, more stable...more complete...more loving and more loved. It's a process...trust in that!

1st Cor.13 "When I was a child, I spoke like a child, thought like a child, argued like a child; now that I have become a man, I have finished with childish ways. For now, we see obscurely in a mirror, but then it will be face to face. Now I know partly; then I will know fully, just as God has fully known me. But for now, three things last- Trust, hope and love; and the greatest of these is Love. Pursue Love!"

God, help us all ...please...each and every day, to look beyond the faults of others. We are all sinners in this world, saved by grace! Help us to do and give so that we might receive from you.
All our relationships are known by you. Nothing is hidden from you. Help us to realize that it is your work- not our demands- that changes people and situations. Prayer works- Our shouts of disappointment- never work! Help us- help me...to trust in you.
By the way, Lord, thank you for all your wonderful loving creatures that you have given to us to point a way from self indulgences to total dependence on you. In Jesus's Name. Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment